Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Quest For Truth

At first glance I was rather confused with the excrement obsession and the glorification of it. The reading talked about the homogeneity of popular art but the alternative - the idea that everything is the same level as shit also relies on homogeneity. Bataille really seemed to me to be a walking contradiction and I believe he felt himself to be as well. I do believe that is searching for "the sacred" contradiction is inevitable as one person cannot possibly define what is sacred to another. There can be no decided right or wrong for the whole, only for a group of similar minds. In the quest for the universal truth defined as "sacred" there is an impossible circle of contradictions and counterpoints. The truth is in a sense "formless". In this way I believe the quest for truth has become more sacred than the truth itself out of necessity. This idea led me to the theory that whatever someone holds sacred is what perpetuates their own survival.

No comments: