Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I would like to say that the first two posts were enjoyable reads with interesting and though provoking ideas on both the idea of what is sacred and feedback from the reading. It was like I was reading poetry. Anyway, I myself was very confused by the questions and points in "Base Materialism." The approach to the article I found to be mostly negative and somewhat depressing, and I hate those kind of reads. So, my first reaction was: I am irritated, what is all this talk about excrement and what does it have to do with ceramics, and why am I reading this deep, intense article about a new way of thinking, experiencing, and approaching art when I don't even know the basics about ceramics? After we addressed the article in class on Tuesday and felt a lot less confused. Discussion is great, because everyone has something diffferent to bring to the table and people build off eachother's ideas.
We did not really address materialism and fetishism in discussion. It was something that seemed to stick out in my mind when I went back over the reading. Bois seemed to emphasize that present day culture has grown to place too much of an importance of materialistic "things," things that are tangible, even art. Almost like we are too needy or dependent on these things, where our perception and the way we process information is clouded and skewed by pre-set notions that we can't possibly have a new experience. At least in today's culture it would be very difficult. Like we hold onto these things so tightly, even a painting for example. We put a lot of time and effort into a painting, working to get a desired effect of look, even weeks. We are often instructed to wipe it down and start over again. And it's extremely difficult to let go. Every time it's a struggle. That is just one example, but I feel like he is talking about not holding onto these "things" that influence our thoughts, and do not allow for an entirely "free" new way of experiencing. I don't know if that made any sense, as it's difficult for me to put my thought processes into words.

No comments: