Monday, February 25, 2008

Dicks and books

I really enjoyed the last project and I wanted to share some of my processes and thoughts around my project. The actual quote I used as my inspiration was in a song sung by immortal technique, "I jerk off inside books and give life to words, leaving concepts stuck together you've probably never heard." On a side note, if anyone is looking for disturbing, offensive revolutionary music check him out. He is very crude and it is certainly not for everyone. I was really fighting the idea of using a quote as my inspiration and I feel like I was able to stay on that path while still using this quote as a guide. The reason I say that is that it is not the quote that is important to me but rather the idea of giving life to words. I chose to show words coming to life in this visual representation, it is not the quote that gives it definition or importance.
Honestly going into this project I was frustrated and did not like the project. I thought it was far too weird for me to try to interpret text with clay. Abstract art has never been something that I have understood or really appreciated and this was an assignment that really embodied that to me. Once I started, however, I really began to appreciate the project and my work. I experienced a feeling of growth in that I was able to create, understand and appreciate a new level of art that was different than others I have experienced.
In preparation for my project I knew I would have to look at penises other than my own. I did not want this to be a portrait but rather my personal view of power, life, birth and growth in the form of a penis. Against my comfort level I printed off about a dozen different pictures of penises of varying sizes and shapes, though all were circumcised. It is interesting that I chose all circumcised penises as I myself am uncircumcised, but that was the choice I made. I think I feel like a circumcised penis is easier to recognize than an uncircumcised one and is very unique in appearance. In addition to these pictures I could not get a clip from the movie "superbad" out of my mind. The scene involves the characters adolescent addiction to drawing dicks. He talks about how it was traumatizing to him and at the point where his teacher discovers his habit he "had just finished a big, veiny, triumphant bastard." I have included the clip so everyone can see where some of my inspiration came from.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IlZpE8LQp-c

P.S. you may have to copy and paste the link so it works.
-Sean

No comments: