Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Empty Closet -

The Water Closet
The first article brings out a variety of feelings for me. It seems my inborn desire to try and organize things or at the very least sort things out. Of course if you looked at my desk at home you would really wonder exactly what my definition of organized is. But, compared with what these articles are about….there is no comparison. What these articles are really about is taking things that are organized and breaking them down. The real question I struggle with…is this even scholarship…is this creativity....is any idea good a good idea? Let’s tear up something and flush it down the toilet….so cleaver..?….my dad didn’t think so when he had to call the plumber. Is this a search for the childhood play. Or interviews with the few people who survived a suicide leap from the Golden Gate Bridge.,true story..when ask when did they decide that it was a bad idea? All said the moment just after they let go… To describe the thinking that went into these articles as mainstream would disingenuous on my part. After a while my sense of reverse entropy kicked and I wondered who in the world some of these people were….and why am I reading about them?
George Batille –AKA - Lord Auch, Pierre Angélique, Louis Trente described as “metaphysician of evil”, interests are described as: sex, death, degradation, and the power and potential of the obscene. Major influences include Marques de Sade and Gilles de Rais a serial child killer. Rejected traditional literature.. ultimate aim of all intellectual, artistic, or religious activity should be the annihilation of the rational individual in a violent, transcendental act of communion. A real life Librarian for 20 years. Imagine how much more he could have done with the Internet…computer and a camera. Supposedly he had some enthusiastic supporters. Sorry…don’t feel the need to bring him home to meet the family.
Jean Genet - French writer, a dramatist and convicted felon – a man addicted to theft – eventually free - he wrote who about the underworld and homosexual love.
Jean Arp – now here is a guy – who I feel got over himself – the ritualistic tearing that he tried – and some of his work that was supposed to be random sure doesn’t look like it…he give it up and never went back to it. As is quoted on page 208: “ I believe even more than I did in my youth, that a return to an essential order, to a harmony, is necessary to save the world from endless bedlam.”
So…is there a point? Are we missing brain cells if it’s hard to make sense…out of nonsense?
I feel there is somebody like Victor Spinsky and his artistic friend hiding in the bushes watching all this…( like his stories about the garbage man trying to empty his ceramic garbage can only to have it shatter in his hands or the fake giant reptile left by the freeway that stopped traffic).. and are laughing their asses off!

No comments: