Thursday, February 7, 2008

Liquid Thoughts

This is, again, a difficult and hard consept to grasp easily. To make it easier on myself, I will think about it as "the meaning of words", or "the meaning of communication", or "the meaning of words, in phonetic, semantic,and syntactic, (and so on) sense..." [Phonetic, the sound of it. Semantic, the meaning/logic of it. Syntactic, how it is arranged, and what meaning that gives]. Why is it difficult? Because, I think, we take it so for granted, and we can't imagine how it would be to be without it, for starters. We learn to communicate from the day we're born, and what we learn is depentent on where in the world we are, in what time. There are so many levels to this, that it is hard to decide where to start. In regards to the text, it seems that the author is mostly concerned about the written word(?) and how that has been, or can be, translated to painting. I think his statement about the "opposition ... of writing and painting" being "phenomenologically perpindicular to one another" is silly, but, enough about that. I think it is interesting to observe that when Ruscha chooses to paint "Lisp" on the canvas, it is communicating "stronger" to a certain group of people, but to for example me, it didn't mean anything until I looked the word up in a dictionary. So, even though I like 'word art', I also think it is something that can sometimes 'blur' the message more than enhance, but that is of course because some of us come from other cultures (well, we all come from other cultures, come to think of it :)

No comments: