Sunday, February 10, 2008

text and layers

When we first read about the assignment in the studio, I thought of the library and all the text inside it. Then on my way to the library I walked down 13th avenue and noticed all the signs and didn't think much of them. Then I saw Taylor's sports bar and grill. The sign stood out, not only because it was bright red and big, but the name and the style of writing. I thought of all the context that taylor's could be used. With the 's.. its probably someone's name. then i thought of the general context, i mean where it was used. It was on the front of a building, but could be on paper written in pencil or spray painted on a wall. the meaning behind taylor's also gives it body and meaning. To me it makes me think of halloween, beer, dancing, fake id, loud people. To the owner of the bar, Taylor could be their name or someone know. Taylor could be alive or dead. I think all text has this backround built into through experience with that text. When we first learn to read and write or talk, others force their interpretation of the word onto you. then over time, that word or text begins to get layered with meaning. The layering infinite. this layering can also be broken down to just the text, letters, symbols.

No comments: